Greg’s Multigrain Pulled Jackfruit Sandwich
This vegan pulled jackfruit sandwich is a favourite, among those who don’t eat meat and even those who do. The jackfruit has a similar texture to pulled pork and the barbeque sauce really brings the flavour! Our Multigrain bread is full of crunchy grains and seeds, complementing the sweet and smoky taste of the barbeque sauce.
What you'll need:
- 4 slices of Stonemill Slow Crafted Multigrain bread
- 1 can of young green jackfruit (packed in water, not syrup)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1⁄4 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄8 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup BBQ sauce
What you'll need to do:
- Turn your oven on at 400°F (200°C).
- Lightly grease a baking pan or casserole dish with avocado oil.
- Rinse and drain the jackfruit.
- Add some avocado oil to a large frying pan or skillet over medium to high heat.
- When it’s ready, add the onions and garlic.
- Sauté until the onions are translucent and softened (8 minutes).
- Throw in the jackfruit and vegetable broth.
- Then, cover and cook for another 8 to 10 minutes, until the jackfruit softens. Shred the jackfruit until it resembles pulled pork.
- Next, spread the jackfruit in an even layer across the baking pan/casserole dish and put it in the oven. Wait 15 minutes.
- Then, remove it from the oven and stir in a 1⁄2 cup of BBQ sauce.
- Put it back in the oven for 10 minutes, or until it looks golden.
- Take it out and stir in the remaining BBQ sauce to taste.
- Place between multigrain rye bread slices with coleslaw and slice.
- Take a bite and be amazed by the taste and texture of this completely vegan sandwich.